Food

I've had people asking me what the food is like here. Well considering I am a rather picky/fussy eater, it is incredible!


This restaurant - Song Jiang Pie and Porridge - is my current favourite. Their fried pork dumplings are to die for and I've never had egg fried rice like it before. Their shredded beef with scallions is my favourite main meal at the moment closely followed by their chicken sweet and sour. Now that sounds like a cop out having something that I could get in the UK but I only tried it for the first time the other day. Until then I'd been trying other things that I'd not had before. It's a very different sweet and sour, much less sweet and more flavour full, and also it comes with bamboo not pineapple or other vegetables. They also do these things call green onion cakes, which sounds odd but they are really good. They come hot and really should only be eaten hot (like dumplings). They are made of a springy kind of dough that's flat and fried with scallions inside. The ones here are good but James and I prefer the ones from our other favourite restaurant Whu Wa Ma. Their food is also good but they have a limited selection. James likes this restaurant for their Beef Noodle Soup. I've had it and I've had the version with dumplings instead of noodles. I prefer the beef noodle, though it's about three times to large for me to eat. I end up leaving more than half the bowl whenever we go. 

We've found that we have to eat with chopsticks wherever we go as forks etc are really not provided. It's taken some practice but we're both feeling more confident with them and thinking that we're going to use them at home more than we'll use other utensils. We've found that using them has made us eat slower, take time to enjoy our food and consequently we're not eating as much because we're allowing our bodies times to realise that they are full. We're still getting the hang of some of the eating etiquette here but we're learning and people are happy to show us how to do things if we look clueless. 

There are a few other places that we've eaten, including the food court in the Sogo department store...


Dante Cafe...


and Fang's Restaurant...


Currently on my list of places I want to try is:

Modern Toilet

Just for shits and giggles ;)

For those of you interested why not have a look at this Buzzfeed

Comments

  1. OMG if I ever come visit you we have to go to Modern Toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I can't wait to go there!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

And we're off!

Hot, hot, hot!