I'm learning Chinese said Wernher von Braun

Coming home from Carrefour today, I was giving the taxi driver directions and on arrival at the flat he gave me a big smile and told me that my Chinese is very good. I can't tell you how chuffed I was. I haven't learnt a lot but I'd like to think that what I have learnt I'm saying correctly. Pronunciation is really hard and very important in a tonal language like Chinese, so I was really please when the taxi driver told me my Chinese is good. James and I haven't been taking lessons sadly but we're picking things up as we go along. Two of James' students are teaching him some words and I'm picking things up when I'm out and about shopping etc. 

What have I learnt so far and more importantly what am I confident saying:

Hello - Nǐ hǎo
Goodbye - Zàijiàn
Thank you - Xièxiè ni
Yes, thank you - Shì de, xièxiè nǐ
No, thank you - Bù liǎo xièxiè  nǐ
Turn right - Yòu zhuǎn
Turn left - Zuǒ zhuǎn
Zhongshan north road - Zhōngshān běi lù
Tianmu West Road - Tiānmù xi lù
Jaclyn Villas - Jiǎkèlín

Ok so most of it is directions for travelling in a taxi but it's very useful! The next thing to learn - numbers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

And we're off!

Hot, hot, hot!