You take the good, you take the bad

Some weeks are good, some are bad and some are both. This week has been both. 

At the start of the week I found out that three of my Gambian students would be leaving in a matter of weeks because relations between Gambia and Taiwan have broken down. Gambia no longer recognises Taiwan as an independent country. I've grown very attached to my kids in the time I've been here and I will miss them dreadfully. I don't mean to cast aspersions on Gambia, but I don't know what they will be going back or whether their education will continue when they leave. I hope for their sake it does. A sad time indeed for all of us. 

On a happier and funnier note, I helped teach the year 7 girls about puberty today. Now that was a lesson and a half! I thought they would be more shy about these matters but we had some great questions and answers. I discovered that in Chinese/Taiwanese, girls also refer to their periods in euphemisms and that one of them is their 'Auntie'. It's a bit like the British expression 'Aunt Flo'. I had a great time and it made me realise that if I did ever want to teach, it would definitely be year 7s. They are a delight!

Sad again was news that my dad's cousin's husband died. While I only knew him a little, family is family and the loss is still felt. The same with my brother-in-law James' brother, David, who also died recently. A kind, lovely man. Lost too soon to us. 

Thankfully my week ends on a happy note. Tomorrow my friends Emma and Bradley are coming to visit for the weekend. I've not had much of a chance to sight see in Taipei yet so this is a good excuse to take some time out to look around. 

Good week or bad, life in Taipei continues to be good to us. I look forward to what next week will bring. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

And we're off!

Hot, hot, hot!