Memories

I've been thinking about my dad a lot lately. Since he died that's been a very hard thing to do. Even now I find it almost impossible to do so without crying. 

While dad was in hospital, he was visited regularly by various members of the clergy. In his last days, I think that he must have been visted by a member of the Catholic ministry because among his things that we took home was a rosary. I don't know why I kept it. I'm not Catholic. I just can't seem to part with it. It's always in my bag and goes with me wherever I go. It's crazy really. It seems to have become some sort of talisman to me. I panic at the thought of losing it. Maybe there's something symbolic in that, I don't know. 

All I know is that my dad is gone, and I've lost the most important man in my life. I've lost his words, his music, his memories, his ridicuous jokes. I try desperately to hold on to the things that I remember about him so that I can share them with others. So they can know him and remember him too. 

He was a great muscian but I bet a lot of people never knew that he did wonderful drawings and had a quick wit. He was so funny. 

He once upstaged Alex Trebek, who did not appreciate it and told dad so. He used to tell that story with relish. 

He and my uncle were once nominated for a Canadian Country Music Award. 

Dad travelled through Europe with my uncle Ken and friends, and they were once held up by bandits who stole dad's lime green jeans. 

While in Germany performing in the 70s, Dad took a song request from a young soldier who was headed for Vietnam. 

When we lived in Syria, he used to drive me, my sister and my best friend Sheila round and round the big round about by our apartment while we sang 'My lovely horse' from Father Ted. 

I could go on. He was an extraordinary man and I shall miss him forever. But at least I still have him here in my memories and in the eyes that I see in the mirror every day.

Comments

  1. I loved reading this. I would like to be that way too, to continue to make people smile or laugh, in death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my comment seems to have ended up in the wrong place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3

And we're off!

Hot, hot, hot!